Check out these great shots from O’Born Contemporary’s booth, #834, at Art Toronto this year. Our selections were full of fire, gravity, and geometry! For enquiries regarding the work available, please email email@example.com
Public Studio will be in the group exhibition ‘Unrest: Art, Activism, & Revolution’ at Helen Day Art Center in Vermont!
Opening reception will be on Friday, September 19th from 6-8pm. Exhibition will continue until November 23rd 2014
Please go here for more info:http://helenday.com/exhibitions/upcoming
Check out these images from the opening reception of Callum Schuster’s solo show, Palindrome Dome, Metronome Home
All images ©2014, Michael Chiang
Congratulations to OBC artist Kate MCQuillen on her residency with Spudnik Press Cooperative in Chicago! We are so excited about how active she has been and can’t wait for her solo show with us in November! Check out these links for more info.
OBC Artists Noel Rodo-Vankeulen and Jill Greenberg are in the NYC’s Humble Arts Foundation’s latest group show, “New Cats in Art Photography” curated by Jon Feinstein!
For a short piece on why visual culture has its eyes trained on the feline form and identity, check out this Blouin Artinfo link!
Glitch Cat (Morris), 2014
Black Cat, 2014
TIME Magazine uses work from Fukushima by Dominic Nahr for their September cover story!
Read more HERE.
Call for Entries
Guest Curator for OBC Exhibition
January 10 – January 24, 2015
Opening Reception: Saturday, January 10, 2 – 5 PM
Call for Submissions
O’Born Contemporary invites curators to submit proposals for a group exhibition to be held at the gallery in January 2015. Proposals should be organized around a theme and should demonstrate the curator’s consideration of OBC’s mandate and approach to programming. Curators may include gallery artists but are not obligated to do so. All available works from our catalogue are eligible for inclusion. Projects detailing commentary on contemporary culture are of particular interest to the selection committee.
Submissions should include:
- Exhibition title
- A brief curator’s statement describing the exhibition concept, not exceeding 500 words
- Curator’s biography and CV
- Participating artists’ biographies
- Supporting visual material, including images of all works to be shown–image files should not exceed 2mbeach in JPG format
- Filenames must be formatted as follows: artistlastname_imagetitle_size.jpg
- Submissions must be accompanied by an image list including: Thumbnail image of work, artist name, title of work, medium, year of creation, dimensions, edition (if applicable), and price
- A detailed exhibition budget and list of technical requirements.
- Original work in any medium is eligible.
- Curators and submitted artists must be 18 years of age or older.
- There is no fee for submission.
Submissions must be delivered by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. by August 16, 2014, 6pm. Ensure to include the title “OPEN CURATORIAL CALL” in the subject line of the email.
- Works must have been produced after January 2012
- Works must be available for purchase. O’Born Contemporary will collect a thirty-five percent (35%) commission on sales. The curator will collect a fifteen percent (15%) commission on sales and the artists will retain fifty percent (50%) of the retail cost.
- There is a maximum exhibition budget to be discussed only with the selected curator. It includes printing of 250 postcard invitations and refreshments for the opening reception. If your exhibition budget exceeds this maximum but your exhibition is chosen, we will contact you to discuss the possibility of amending the submission to fit within the budget.
- While only digital submissions will be accepted, selected works must be exhibition-ready (framed, mounted where necessary – no loose prints or paper).
- Inclusion in the exhibition is contingent upon accurate reproduction of the original work. Work will be turned down, where too great a variance exists.
- Submissions missing any requested information may be discarded without notification.
- Notification of acceptance will be emailed out on or before October 4, 2014.
- The accepted curator will be responsible for delivery of all works, in person to O’Born Contemporary, 131 Ossington Avenue, Toronto by December 19, 2014.
- The exhibition dates are January 10 – 24, 2015 with the opening on the first day of the exhibition from 2 – 5pm. The curator must attend the opening and keep some hours at the gallery during the run of the show. Artists are also encouraged to attend.
- O’Born Contemporary may reproduce and photograph selected works for purposes related to promotion, documentation and education.
- By submitting to this call, curators guarantee that artists have copyright to submitted works.
- By submitting to this call, curators guarantee they have the artists’ permission to show the submitted works as a part of the submitted exhibition.
- ONLY THE ACCEPTED CURATOR WILL BE NOTIFIED
Here are some photos from the opening reception of Soft Turns’ most recent exhibition at OBC, Behind the High Grass.