Elle Flanders & Tamira Sawatzky
about the artists
ELLE FLANDERS completed her PhD at York University's newly created practice-based research visual arts program in 2014 and has mentored with some of the art world's most notable artists including Mary Kelly and Martha Rosler at the Whitney ISP and Rutgers University respectively. Flanders has a long history of community engagement and has created award-winning films and installations. Her longstanding interest in the personal, social, and political implications of landscape and place have led her, in collaboration with Sawatzky, to produce site-specific public art installations that are immersive and that re-examine the role of audience as participant/witness by way of an aestheticized experience.
TAMIRA SAWATZKY is an architect and artist working in Toronto. She worked for the award-winning firm MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects from 1998-2010. In 2010, she founded Public Studio Architecture and Public Studio with her collaborator, Elle Flanders. In addition to an ongoing architectural practice, her most recent art work includes: The Dialogues (2014), a series of short films displayed on outdoor LED advertising screens and on subway station monitors commissioned by the Toronto Urban Film Festival and Drone Wedding (2014), an eight-channel video work for the Ryerson Image Centre.
Flanders and Sawatzky are currently working two large-scale public art commissions in Toronto launching in 2015.
- Solo Exhibition: Under the Last Sky, September 12 – October 11, 2013
- Solo Exhibition: Road Shots, March 17 – April 21, 2012
- June , 2014: World Pride Art Exhibits showcase Celebration, solidarity and loss , Heather Loney, Global News
- June, 2014: Ward 27 Launches Full Spectrum , Ward 27 News
- 2014: Work featured in Art & Power: How Culture Changes, Lord, Barry. Chicago: AAM Press, 2014/li>
- April, 2013: My House: Street Smarts, Dwell Magazine
- May 9, 2013: Winners Announced for Toronto Friends of the Visual Arts Awards, Canadian Art Online
- October 10, 2013: Public Studio's Latest Brings Drone Warfare Back Home, Bryne McLaughlin, Canadian Art Online
- July 7, 2012: Which Side Are You On?, Steven Leyden Cochrane, Uptown Magazine
- July 2012: Elle Flanders and Tamira Sawatzky: Road Movie, Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art
- April 7, 2012: Recommended mention, RM Vaughan for The Globe and Mail
- March 2012: On Now >> Road Shots @ O'Born Contemporary, Heather White for ArtSync
- September 9, 2011: At the Galleries: TIFF-Related Shows, Leah Sandals for The National Post
- September 8, 2011: Road Pic Power, Fran Schechter for Now Toronto